Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Night Markets


Fancy lights in the elevator in Taipei 101


The weighted ball in Taipei 101 stops the building falling down in an earthquake.


The modern toilet restaurant, if you fancy poo shaped breads, urinal dishes and poor service.


Cakes for the lonely and hungry lady.


Shilin night market the biggest night market in Taipei.

 Panoramic shot of Shilin night market.


The metro in Taipei.



I am so tired I have taught for 7 hours today including breaks. I signed up for extra hours teaching high school students. They are all pretty well behaved, a few stroppy ones but thats to be expected with teenagers. And I was armed with my greatest weapons, powerpoints and candies. It works! These kids are very studios not like the murderous teenage youth we have in London. So in comparison any kind of strop they give you is pretty tame. For example I said what's your favorite sport and one of them said 'I don't care' so I handed said person a piece of chalk and they wrote it begrudgingly on the board. So the rebellion is not like the London riots or anything. In my sub lesson I got a chance to read diaries of some kids they were pretty depressing they were all like ' I wish I could play ipad tonight, but I have too much homeworks' non of the 'got wasted in the park drinking a bottle of cider' from what I can remember from my youth.

I went to Catiya's restaurant for a nice lunch in the sun, one of my arms now has a tan. I need to even that stuff up. Me and Gene bumped into Rams Horn. Rams Horn is an American girl I met in Tin Pan (bar) She's nice but a can be intense. She has these piercing blue eyes and is a bit of a weirdo, she has started taking peyote with some hippies in the mountains and now talks about chakras and intrinsically, sliding, metamorphis... all those kinds of adjectives. She is a lyricist, she demonstrated her mc-ing to me while drunk in the park and she is really really good. You know whatever floats your boat. 

ALso bumped into a guy called Oscar Sun a photographer, he told me about a film festival where you have to make a 5minute film in 32 hours sounds cool I might give it a try. 

Found those willy cakes in Shilin night market, they are pretty hilarious. I love the night market culture here, its a perfect place as it is so hot infact you start feeling yourself become a night person to stay away from the overbearing heat. The nightmarkets are always rammed with old and young as they meander through the crowds sampling culinary delights. They're pretty dirty so don't go there with a squeamish friends, you may see a rat or some kind of a grotty grill. But they are so vibrant, Thats one thing I love about Taiwan their society is inclusive. In England it is almost taboo to get old. You have to sit indoors with your slippers and a yorkshire terriers and a blanket because you can't afford the heating, cowering away from hooded youths on the bus. But here everyone can get out into the nightmarket, old people still have a voice, they go to concerts with young people. I miss London but I definitely don't miss that, plus when I'm an old lady I don't want to be scared to go out at night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment