Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yenshui Fireworks festival the second most dangerous tradition in the world I think



A horrendously obese dog outside the confuscious
temple in Tainan. With added insult to injury he had to 
wear a bow.


Lucky the luckiest dog in the world. He is a street dog taken in by a nice kind old lady called Sylvia. She took him in after a bear trap took his left paw. He is the happiest dog in the world he takes nothing for granted especially cuddles. He's probably forgotten me now and will bark at me the next time I see him.  


 Burning paper money for a god's birthday to bring good luck, some might call it bribery.





BBQ squid pretty tasty especially the tentacles noms.




The old and the new.
                             
       

A crazy temple on the east coast with hundreds of statues.


 Jasper finding spiritual enlightenment.

Well I have a very sore head, stomach and a strange feeling of shame and dissapointment, welcome the hangover from hell. All my healthy talk out of the window for a decandent night of sangria. You can't blame me fore indulging I mean there was Brie at this party, that shits hard to come by out here. So as soon as that sweet brie passed my lips healthy me went out the window and was replaced by beer swilling cheese munching me. And now that me has been replaced by hungover me. I don't like her.

It was a good night tho, the female teachers had a girly get together with dips and chips and as i mentioned cheese. i know I keep banging on about this brie but it's getting to that stage now where I am starting to miss a few of my old home foods like bacon, english sausages, marmite, baked beans, my mums chicken and cheese. I've always had an oriental palate so I'm definitely not complaining about the delicious noodles, sushi, bbq shrimp, chicken and rice boxes but you always want the best of both worlds. There is definitley no shortage of things to eat out here. It's actually not uncommon for people to not have a kitchen they literally never cook and always eat out. 

I tried bbq squid for the first time at the Yenshui fireworks festival. Sam doesn't like seafood so I delighted in making sure the tentacles hung out of my mouth as I chowed down on it. I also tried chicken feet too but i didin't really like the texture if you can imagine. This festival is supposedly one of the most dangerous in the world. Before I went I heard all the horror stories of lost eyes, lost hearing and burns so I was shitting it just slightly. You have to go fully dressed in helmets and towels and a few beers to calm the nerves help



The festival was started a long time ago when this town was being ravaged by cholera. They paraded their god statues through the town setting off firecrackers into the crowd and to this day they continue. You need a towel just in case a bottle rocket flies into your helmet in which case pray. To be honest I thought it was gonna be more crazy than it was. I mean there are mothers with children, old folk and a big outdoor nightmarket is there. I think its only really dangerous if you want it to be. They bring the statues around the streets and at different times set off the crackers. So if you don't fancy being pelted with fireworks you can go and stand at the side. Its funny to see but as the firecrackers start everyone starts jogging on the spot, this is to make sure they don't get lodged on your clothes. It was a really good experience but just remember that the trains finish early so its long to get back from. The fireworks displays were epic must have cost thousands of pounds. I feel sorry for the dogs they must have been freaking out. But then again the dogs here are a little different. The stray dogs actually cross the roads at the crossing when there is a green man. I do not lie, I've seen them do it loads of times pretty impressive. Not all of them are so clever, or perhaps more are risk takers and they do get hit by cars sometimes

I met a 8month old dog yesterday called Randy he was so dopey and excitable. One of the girls got him out of the pound. Apparently 200 dogs are put down each day in Taiwan its pretty sad most of them don't even get the chance of being adopted. I was shocked to hear her say that she wasn't taking the dog with her back to America as it costs too much. about 1600pounds. I know thats alot but you gotta pay it. Dogs not for Christmas and all that. I have 6months to work on her and her boyfriend into making them feel so guilty about Randy that they take him.

No comments:

Post a Comment